I set goals at the beginning of the year, and I’m tracking my progress in these updates during 2021.
As I look at goal progress for 2021, I’m going to follow a similar pattern as last year. I’ll give myself a current grade and report on overall progress in of the areas where I set goals.
Current Grade: B-
I think I’m making some progress, and getting some items moving forward. I haven’t spent as much time on my technical skills, but I have been pushing project stuff forward a bit.
The goal was 4 books (3 non-fiction, 1 tech). Here’s the current progress:
- Career – Project to Product – 36%
- Career – TBD
- Career – TBD
- Technical – TBD
I’m solving the Advent of Code three times. I’m also studying for certification.
- Certification – AZ-900 – 5%
- Certification – DP-200 – 0%
- Skills – T-SQL – 2020 Advent of Code – 4/25
- Skills – Python – 2020 Advent of Code – 4/25
- Skills – PowerShell – 2020 Advent of Code – 4/25
- Skills – TBD
I had a few projects for myself. Most of January was supporting SQL Memorial as well as doing some SQL Saturday/Data Saturday stuff. So far things appear to be working fine.
- SQL Saturday Foundation – 60%
- Support events: approved a PR or 2 this month, helped with feedback on the Data Saturday logo project, and started conversations about events this year with a few people
- Speak at the 3 local user groups, at least one live presentation – 0%
- Help organize a Denver/Colorado event, live or virtual – 10% (conversations)
- Complete my Power BI Volleyball report – I know lots of kids will use this, so I need to get it done – 20%
- SQL Memorial – 80%
I added the SQL Saturday Foundation as a project, since this will occupy some time. I don’t plan on hiring anyone, but with me and some volunteers, I’m hoping we build a website. I spent some time writing a little PoSh this month to rip through the XML from the old site and rebuild an archive. I used the Data Saturday-ish site as a template and got something up with a few pages.