SQL Clone is a fantastic tool from Redgate for building new databases quickly for development and test environments. I like using it, but ran into a little issue the other day.
I was running a few tests with installation and got an error, but one that I wasn’t expecting. This isn’t a SQL Clone issue, but rather a Redgate client issue for our new licensing. As soon as I went to configure SQL Clone, I got a pop up to log in with my Redgate ID. I like this overall as I can manage licenses and move to machines if needed. However, in this case I got an error.
I have Chrome as the default browser here, cookies are enabled. I hate IE, but apparently we use the IE control. Someone suggested disabling the IE Enhanced Security Configuration. A quick search showed me how to do this.
I ran Server Manager, and for the local server, you can click the “On” for IE Enhanced Security.
This gives you a small dialog. I set this off for administrators.
NOTE: This can be dangerous. In general, you don’t want to just download things on servers. That’s how we get all sorts of issues. There are times you need this, so disable the control, get something, and set it back on.
Once I did that, I could log in and move on to other licensing. In this case, leaving a trial running as I test other things.