Day 4 Sabbatical, Part Deux

I started the day cooking breakfast for my daughter again. I like doing this and she’s only home for another week. More homemade hash browns and eggs.


She asked about the sabbatical and I said I wasn’t getting enough done.

“Only you would say that, Dad.”

Perhaps, but I do want to accomplish something with this gift. I know I am, even if it’s only guitar, but I tend to be an overachiever.

Crappy weather today, 30+mph wind and cold, so an indoor day with a few things.


I did about 20 minutes in the am today, just a bit before I had a massage, so I had to take a break. No lessons, just working through some of the things I’d learned, just practicing some skills.

After some chores (below), I was a bit worn out. It’s cold and windy. Not the time to spend outside, or even in the garage. I decided to sit around and spend about an hour just practicing things. I watched a bit of “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room”, which is a song I’ve wanted to learn. I sat in the foyer, on the stairs, practicing a bit and trying to work on fingering.

A good amount of practice, and my fingers hurt again.


My cutting board was looking OK, so I started the finishing process. Actually, I did a little sanding yesterday. I’d glued this up over the weekend, kind of a sabbatical prep project.


Today I started finishing, a first coat in the am with a food-safe finish.


It’s walnut, maple, purpleheart, and a strip of paduk in there. First coat here, and I got the second side at lunch.

A Break and Prep

I had a massage in the late morning, which was nice. I do get these once a month, but I’m trying to schedule more during this break. It’s a good self-care break in life. Just an hour, and it felt good.

I hit the gym after, trying to stick to somewhat of a routine. Weight lifting today, and it was a good workout.

After that, with poor weather, I decided to hit the hardware store and get some supplies. I got some wood to start some garage cleanup. I added in a blade for cutting metal and a router bit, which I’ll need for another minor project. More on those later.

The rest of the day was chores with my wife, guitar (above) and then dinner with friends. With this wind, I needed to secure one of the raised doors. I’d mounted a winch last week, but the handle hit a support and it didn’t quite secure things. With more wind coming Friday, I need to fix this.

My view this afternoon, trying to dismount and re-mount the winch.


It was cold (around 0C, 32F) and drafty in there. This metal is cold, so it’s not fun to try and get nuts on bolts in here. Gloves don’t work well here because I can’t feel things. Fortunately, this didn’t take more than about 20 minutes.

My wife was feeding horses when I got done, so I stuck around and filled water while she did that. Cold and windy out here, and I had to stay near the hose to be sure it didn’t flip out, and I was also pulling feed bags off some horses.


By the end of this, I was ready for a break. Coffee and guitar.

That was about it. After this, I went out with my wife and son to meet friends. A relatively quiet day, not a lot of productivity, but prepping for more work tomorrow.

About way0utwest

Editor, SQLServerCentral
This entry was posted in Blog and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.