Weird Docker Desktop Issues – Unable to Create Hyper-V VM

I was setting up my new machine the other day and one of the first things I did was get Docker Desktop. I grabbed this and enabled Hyper-V at the same time. When I rebooted, I had some errors, so I thought perhaps I hadn’t really enabled the Windows Subsystem for Linux and Hyper-V correctly before getting Docker running. That shouldn’t matter, but I decided to uninstall Docker Desktop, reboot, and be sure things were running.

Once I had Hyper-V running and I connected to my local WSL, I reinstalled Docker Desktop, but still saw lots of this:

Unable to create Hyper-V VM

There were other errors, like the Docker.Core.Backend.BackendDestroyException, but the main problem seemed (to me) to be a Hyper-V issue.

Checking the Hyper-V console showed no VMs created. Hmmm, what do I do?

I tried to “Quick create” a VM, but that wizard failed. I didn’t really want to make a VM at this time, so I hesitated here, but I shouldn’t have. After searching around more, I came back and tried to ensure that I could create a VM.

It was at this time that I noticed the default location for my Hyper-V vms was s:\virtual. I don’t have an “S:“ drive, so I was suspicious. Checking the disk location, I saw the same thing.

This might make sense if scripting was using defaults to set up a new VM. I manually set the defaults in Hyper-V to be folders on my C: drive. Then I had Docker go back to default settings, and it worked. No errors on startup, the Docker icon in the status bar, and I could pull and start a container.

Good to know.

Not sure why this was an issue. This was (supposedly) a clean, new install of Windows. Strange, but something worth checking if you have issues.

This entry was posted in Blog and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Weird Docker Desktop Issues – Unable to Create Hyper-V VM

1. pianorayk says:

I remember setting up Docker on my work machine a while back, and I also had installation issues related to Hyper-V. I had to have my laptop reimaged (unfortunately, just reinstalling/configuring Hyper-V was not an option — believe me, I tried to negotiate it with my employer, but they wouldn’t let me do it — they would ONLY reimage the entire machine).

2. way0utwest says:

I’ve done this 3 or 4 times and never had an issue, but for some reason I did here.

3. Peter Kiss says:

This is usually just a simple folder permission issue.

Not here. There’s no S: drive on my system, but that is what Hyper-V was looking for. Permissions are certainly something to keep in mind, but not in this case.

4. dbaugie says:

Ahh, you were lucky.

I never succeeded getting any virtual machine to work in my 2015 HP 15g 163nr laptop. I purchased this machine because it was relatively inexpensive and was eminently suitable as a clean platform to undertake (and pass) the CompTIA Advanced Security Professional back in the day.

Hyper-V on t his machine would successfully create VM after VM … but it simply refused to start any of them.

After much self-impose suffering, I finally understood the New Thing. TPM stood for “Trusted Platform Manager”, a hardware module built into the computer. It did NOT refer to “Transaction Protocol Manager”, as I has assumed.

I eventually found the error message that said TPM was not available.

The google search recommended I reload the drivers for the TPM. The instructions for the driver said, “Make sure you have the latest BIOS”. So I flash the BIOS, and attempt to load the TPM driver. The TPMConfig.exe software errored out as well.

And now I arrive at the end of the tale. The msinfo32.exe application revealed this particular laptop has NO TPM installed.

It was probably why the machine was so inexpensive when I acquired it.

Anybody need an inexpensive, lightly used, laptop?

Ugh, that stinks. I hate all these three letter acronyms, especially when they get overloaded. I especially hate Microsoft reusing the same ones in inside their products.