I have been doing some testing with Redgate’s Flyway Desktop as a new way of managing code for databases. However, just like Git, I appreciate clients, but I want to know how the CLI (command line interface) works. I spent time learning git add, git push, git checkout and more. Now I have more comfort understanding how SourceTree or GitKraken work.
I wanted to do the same thing with Flyway, just to be sure that I know what the options, switches, and behavior for Flyway operations would be.
I had an existing database, and I wanted to play around with adding this to a DevOps flow. I was looking for a basic experiment, and decided to create a new repo. I copied the default flyway.conf file into this folder and changed it.
The only thing I did was alter the Flyway conf file in my folder to work with SQL Server. I copied the connection string into the flyway.url parameter and set it as follows:
When I ran the info command, it failed.
When I ran the same command with a different database, it worked:
I was highly confused. I tried a number of different databases, and some of them worked, not I couldn’t see a pattern.
I checked a number of things, including the database owners, a few of which I changed. I thought it might be some permissions and dropped my sysadmin account and added it back.
I tried connecting with SSMS and with sqlcmd. Both of those tools seemed to work.
I was really stumped.
A Small Conflict
Finally, after a bit of back and forth with a few developers, someone noted that I shouldn’t need the port included in the string. Sure enough, when I removed it, things started working.
Apparently, the JDBC documentation notes the issue. I kept looking at Flyway docs, but they just pass things along to the JDBC driver from the various parameters and environment variables.
There is a note that says provide the port number to stop a round trip to the browser to determine the port number for a named instance. If the port number and name are included, the port takes precedence.
I have two instances, some of which have the same databases on each. The databases that worked were on a different instance (which responds to 1433). The ones that didn’t, weren’t on that instance. I kept examining the \SQL2017 instance, but that wasn’t the one I was logging into with my string.
A silly mistake, but a good one to note. The port is a higher priority than the instance in a Java connection string.
I can’t find a priority in the docs for OLEDB or the native client, but they do all say the address takes precedence over the address parameter.